When I moved my site to yet another format, I had a chance to remove client-side analytics. I had been thinking about removing it for a couple months.
- If something on my site is popular, I’ll find out about it through an increasing number of other sources. Read: social media
- Analytics trackers are increasingly collecting false data, as marketers figure out how to fake client data.
- Loading client-side analytics slows down load speeds. It is small, but matters to me when optimizing mobile usage.
- I’m not selling ads on my site, and don’t plan to anytime soon. If or when I do, I don’t want to use display ads.
- I don’t want traffic to influence decisions on site content or design.
- The best way to see if you actually need something is to remove it for a while.